Sunday, October 18, 2009

DAY 26: It's often personal

Dear Mike,

It's a great joy for me to bring you stories about
things that have happened at 40 Days for Life vigils
and how prayers have been answered.

Today, I'd like to offer a slightly different look at
how 40 Days for Life affects people.

People often tell about the profound personal impact
they experience while praying at an abortion center
as a part of 40 Days for Life. Here are just a few of
those stories.

"I found my first time in front of Planned Parenthood
a bit daunting," wrote Melanie in Indianapolis. As
she stood and prayed on a cloudy day, she simply
couldn't help staring at the building.

"I couldn't fathom that such horrific events as
abortion could occur within those walls. I looked up
into the sky, hoping for something from God to remind
me that He was truly present, despite the place that
stood before me," she said. "I saw rays of sunshine
beaming through the clouds onto the center and
recalled that wherever there is darkness, there shall
be light."

Melanie said she thanks God "for the chance to be a
witness of His love for life and pray that the
mothers see how much He loves them and their unborn
child."

There have been plenty of clouds at the 40 Days for
Life vigil in Painesville, Ohio as well. Local
coordinator Dawn Slike described one recent day's
weather as "horrific."

She said the cold, relentless, pelting rain and wind
made her question God's purposes "and led me to doubt
and reexamine the pureness of my own heart's motives.
Of course, then it became apparent to me in my
solitary brokenness that that was exactly God's
intent," Dawn said. "Focusing on God's purposes
within me made me forget how cold I was."

To take a quick look at the 40 Days for Life campaign
in Painesville, check out the short video produced by
the News-Herald, a local newspaper, by going to:

http://40daysforlife.com/blog/?p=403

In Kitchener, Ontario, faithful volunteers have kept
the 40 Days for Life vigil going 24 hours a day.

One volunteer often takes the hours right before
dawn. On this particular day, there was a
determination to spend an hour kneeling in prayer. It
was cold. It had been raining all night. An umbrella
was a big help, but it did not protect the vigil
participant's legs, which got thoroughly soaked as
the cold rain picked up and fell even harder.

"I found myself wishing for the hour to hurry up."
But thoughts suddenly turned to Christ's suffering,
and everything that Jesus endured for our salvation.

"At this time, my experience of discomfort began
changing. It struck me that I had set out that
morning with the attitude that I would be providing a
service to God. No; not at all. God did a service to
me. He blessed me with an enriched prayer experience
and understanding of Christ's sacrificial love."

Soon, daylight began to appear. "I literally watched
darkness give way to the light of day all around me,
and I could not help but see the metaphor for our
society's culture of death. Was God showing me that
he would use our 40 Days for Life to scatter the
darkness of abortion in our nation with a new dawning
light, and a culture of life? I hope so. I believe
so. And I am grateful that he allowed me to take part
in His mighty work."

Have YOU yet had the personal experience of praying
at a 40 Days for Life vigil?

Find a nearby location and get involved:

http://40daysforlife.com/location.cfm

Here's today's devotional from Vera Faith Lord,
Director of the Alpha/Omega Life Ministry and
Representative of the Orthodox Church to the National
Pro-life Religious Council...

-----------------------------------------------------
DAY 26 INTENTION
-----------------------------------------------------

That those who have forgotten their purpose may
discover it in God and therefore have the courage to
choose life.

-----------------------------------------------------
SCRIPTURE
-----------------------------------------------------

These all wait for you, that you may give them their
food in due season, what you give them they gather
in; you open your hand they are filled with good. You
hide your face, they are troubled; you take away
their breath, they die and return to their dust. You
send forth your Spirit, they are created; and you
renew the face of the earth.

-- Psalm 104:27-30

-----------------------------------------------------
REFLECTION by Vera Faith Lord
-----------------------------------------------------

"I am a feather on the breath of God."

As the quote above portrays, we are upheld by the
power and purpose of God. Our very existence on
earth, from our body's first breath to its last, when
we leave it to return home, is our Father's choice
and happens only by His willing to do so.

He who created the universe also created that which
is "me." I do not "have" a soul - I AM a soul, as
well as a body. My entire purpose in this life is to
find my way back to my Creator.

-----------------------------------------------------
PRAYER
-----------------------------------------------------

Beloved Father, remind us today that there is no
truth but you. Do not let us fall prey to the evil
one's lie that we may choose death. Remind us right
now that you, who created all life, are in control of
all life, and let us know right now that you who
created all life, are in control of all life, and let
us choose life always.

Father, please let us hear your voice more today than
yesterday. Keep lighting the pathway home, for us and
for all who participate in this 40 Days for Life
campaign. Father, we're on our way. Through Jesus
Christ our Lord, Amen.

-----------------------------------------------------
PRINTABLE DEVOTIONAL
-----------------------------------------------------

To download today's devotional as a formatted,
printable PDF to share with friends:

http://40daysforlife.com/docs/fall2009day26print.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------

For Life,

David Bereit
National Director
40 Days for Life

P.S.- Two weeks from today the fall 40 Days for Life
campaign will draw to a close. The finish line is now
in sight -- let's pull out all the stops to finish
strong! The stakes have NEVER been higher.

No comments: