Saturday, January 11, 2014

Book Reflections: See You in a Minute: A Mother's Journey Through the First Year of Grief


I have a personal interest in Misty Novak's book; See You in a Minute: A Mother's Journey Through the First Year of Grief.  My family has a close connection with the Novak family.  My mom and grandma are especially close with the author, Misty Novak.  We also know Dan well from church and sporting events.  Growing up in Anderson, IN and being a member of the same church, St. Ambrose Catholic Church, it was impossible for me to not to know Zack.  Everyone, it seemed, knew Zack.  My sister, Jenny, has always been involved in the music ministry at church, so she had several interactions with Zack.  His musical talent was unquestioned.  His joy for life was infectious.  I am sad to say that I personally didn't know Zack that well, but I knew enough to know that he was a truly special person.  I sought this book out primarily because I know the Novak family.  I wanted to know more about Zack's life, and Misty provided many great stories about Zack that are truly inspirational.

After reading this book, I have an even greater respect for Misty and Dan Novak.  As a man, I am particularly impressed with Zack's father Dan Novak.  Misty understandably was heartbroken as any mother would be at the loss of her child.  Her grief was intense and will never completely go away.  Dan undoubtedly felt similar pain, but he had to stay strong for his wife.  He selflessly put the needs of his wife and family before all else.  Dan is a model father and husband.  Misty also possesses many wonderful qualities.  She is a very faithful person, and it shows throughout this book.  While I believe this book can teach us all many lessons about the stages of grief and how to interact with people who have experienced tragic events, ultimately I believe that this book is about a celebration of life.  The life of Zachary Novak in particular.

Zack's life can teach us all several valuable lessons.  He truly was a special person.  His talents will forever be missed by many.  His legacy, however, will live on forever.  The world is a better place because of Zachary Novak.  May we all strive to live our lives with the same joy and love that Zack lived his life.  Please do yourself a favor and buy this book.  Once you have finished reading the book, please come back to this page and leave a comment with your thoughts.  If you know the Novak family and had any interactions with Zack, please leave a comment below sharing your story.  God bless the Novak family for their courage and their great example!  We will never forget the great Zachary Novak, a good and faithful servant of God.

God bless,

Mike

No comments: