Friday, May 29, 2009

A Call to Union

There have been a lot of issues to discuss lately. One of the big news stories recently from the Catholic perspective involves that of priestly celibacy and God’s desire for union with us and our desire for union with Him and others. I have written about priestly celibacy before, but I’d like to go into further depth on the Catholic understanding of priestly celibacy and the idea of union for two reasons: to address the controversy surrounding the ex-Catholic priest from Miami who has left the Catholic Church and is now engaged; and because this very issue is a topic in my reflections on the Theology of the Body. Certainly the media will take this controversy as an opportunity to question the Catholic discipline on priestly celibacy. I have some very interesting statistics and thoughts in response to the not so surprising reaction of mass media surrounding this issue. I will discuss all these things in a follow up post in the next couple days.

However, this post is all about a triumph story; a story that will go down in the annals of time, a story that will bring a smile to anyone’s face, a story about curiosity, determination, love and a desire for union! This blog is affecting lives people! When I started this blog, my goal was to affect at least one person’s life. Perhaps that has happened; perhaps it’s too early to know for sure, but regardless I was really excited when I heard about this story. Although my blog was not directly involved, it may have played a role indirectly in the union of two people. I will let my cousin Dan tell the story in his own words. Thanks for sharing Dan!

---
Hey Mike, I don't think you know anything about this, but if you don't you will soon. So here's the story in all its ridiculousness:

I was reading your blog about a month and a half ago as I do so periodically and I randomly clicked one of the links on the side, not knowing what it was. It turns out it was for a Catholic dating website. I was about to navigate away when I saw a picture of this girl on the site and I was like "what the heck" and clicked it, read her profile, and thought "this is a girl I would really be interested in getting to know." But the site was expensive so I did some internet sleuthing and found the same girl on a different Catholic dating website that was cheaper. I told myself what the heck, subscribed, contacted this girl and promptly got shot down. So I find myself subscribed to this site feeling like a total idiot and I'm like "well here goes nothing" and I proceed to get shot down for the next few weeks by several different girls until this one responded and we kept talking. That was four weeks ago and I just got back from an awesome weekend with her in St. Louis (where she lives). I attached a picture. Anyways, we're dating now and I'm sure the story will spread like wildfire, so I thought you should hear it firsthand from me! : )
God Bless,

Dan

P.S. I really enjoy your blog and it has often led to me stop and think. Keep up the great work!


---
Dan has been assigned as a platoon leader at Ft. Campbell. He will be deployed to Afghanistan in April of next year. Please keep Dan and all our military in your thoughts and prayers. Dan, thank you so much for all that you do and will continue to do for the defense of our country and freedom. Your dedication and tremendous sacrifices are commendable and inspirational. I hope you continue to visit my blog and that it might help strengthen you in your faith. Thanks again for sharing your story with me. God bless!

No comments: