Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lenten Sacrifice


Tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, is the start of the Lent Season. Lent is a season of prayer and sacrifice. It should not be viewed as a season of restriction. We should view Lent as a positive time in our lives when we can focus more deeply on what it means to live a truly Christian life. Lent is a time of preparation for Easter, the great day when we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. We can take an active roll in remembering our Lord’s great sacrifice by participating in the Stations of the Cross. During Lent we should detach ourselves from what keeps us from God and attach ourselves more closely to what brings us closer to Him. This can mean different things for different people, but everyone should intensify their prayers, sacrifice, and charitable deeds. The purpose of Lent is not simply to temporarily deny ourselves of something, but hopefully it is a time when we can and will change our lifestyle forever. The purpose of sacrifice is to become closer to God. If our sacrifice does not bring us closer to God or if our sacrifice is meant only to be observed during the 40 days of Lent, what long term good does that accomplish? We should not set a deadline for living a holy life. If we go back to our sinful ways after Lent, what good have we learned during this time of sacrifice? Lent can transform our lives if we allow ourselves to be transformed. I hope that this Lenten Season transforms my life and does the same for you, my dear readers. Below are my Lenten sacrifices. I share them with you not to boast, but so that I might be held accountable to keep my Lenten promises. I’ve found that it helps when others know your sacrifices so that they might be able to help you keep your sacrificial promises. I’ll explain briefly why I chose these specific sacrifices and how I hope it changes my life. As you read my Lenten sacrifices I encourage you to think about what you will do this Lenten season to bring yourself closer to God now and in the future. God bless!

* In conjunction with 40 days for life, I will read the daily devotional that is emailed out to me daily. I will post these devotionals on my blog so that you all can participate with me.
* Also in conjunction with 40 days for life, I will pray the rosary daily for the unborn and all those that endanger their lives whether intentionally or unintentionally. (I have been praying the rosary every weekday for a while now, but I will make sure to do the same on the weekends and focus on the special intention of the unborn.)
* Also in conjunction with 40 days for life, I will fast. I do not intend to eat just one meal a day for 40 days, but I intend to avoid snacks and refrain from drinking anything but water at work (that can be difficult when drinks are free and easily accessible). My hope is that some of my coworkers will take notice and I can have an opportunity to share my faith with them.
* Also in conjunction with 40 days for life, I will pray at a local abortion facility at least once during this Lenten Season.
* I will spend at least 1 Hour a week in adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament.
* I will spend at least 1 Hour a day doing spiritual reading.
* I will refrain from watching TV on weekdays.
* I will not surf the internet on the weekdays. (I will continue to check email and write posts in my blog – I feel like writing in my blog has been a good thing for me and brought me closer to God. My intention with giving up surfing the internet is to limit the time I waste on the internet that could be put to better use.)

Although tomorrow is not a Holy Day of Obligation, I encourage you all to go to mass tomorrow. Go in the morning and leave your ashes on your head all day – use it as a way to be a witness. I have received some exciting news from our Respect Life Committee leader and I will share it with you all tomorrow. Make sure to check back tomorrow, because you do not want to miss this inspiring story I will share with you! God bless!

No comments: