Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Epic Drought Calls For Changes


Like the old proverb says, desparate times call for desparate measures. I grew up in Indiana where the grass is green and the water is a plenty, so when I moved down to Georgia and heard about the outside water ban naturally I was shocked. A ban on water? Are they serious? This has to be some kind of joke. We could never run out of water, could we?

They say that this is the worst drought the area has seen in over a century. Lakes are drying up, and the lack of water is really becoming a major concern. I can't speak for anyone else, but I had never thought much about conserving water. In fact, when I first heard about the outdoor water ban, I thought it was downright ridiculous. How could the government tell me that I can't water flowers outside? It's my water and I should be able to use it how I see fit. This drought has opened my eyes. I can look back now and realize how selfish I was being. Although I am still not sure that I like the idea of the government punishing individual citizens for watering flowers when big business are wasting thousands of times more water and without penalty than any one citizen could, I can at least understand the concern about a resource that is running dry.

I think that anyone who lives in the areas of severe drought has heard about the water issue. We know for a fact that there is a problem, so the question is will we continue to be part of the problem or become part of the solution? I'll tell you straight forward that I don't plan on skipping showers or stop washing my clothes anytime soon, but I will be more conscious about conserving water. I am willing to turn off the sink when I'm not using it or take a shorter shower. I'm not sure I'd even call these things a sacrifice. I just plan on being responsible.

A popular thought that goes through everyone's mind is: I'm just one person. What will it matter if I break a few rules? Everone else is watering their grass, so why can't I? I don't have any flowers or a yard that needs watered, so it might seem easier for me to say I will conserve water. This may be true, but making excuses is never a way to win an argument or solve a problem. Any time we try to justify our actions based on the negative actions or inaction of others, we have already lost the argument. Instead of looking at this situation as one that others will have to deal with, let's look at it as an opportunity for us to become part of the solution and not part of the problem. We don't often realize how important some things are to us until they are gone or on their way to being gone. Water is essential for life, and there is no guarantee that it will be around forever. We need to be conscious of our water usage and be responsible. Our awareness and minor change of lifestyle is a very small sacrifice, but if everyone makes a small sacrifice then we will all eventually reap the rewards. Now, can we please get some rain! (Just don't rain during my softball game :).

2 comments:

David said...

I only have one thing to say, "Screw the Mussels!"

Mike said...

Haha, I might have to agree with you on that one David.