Friday, October 1, 2010

Political Endorsements - 2010 U.S. Senate

As citizens of the great nation of the United States, it is our duty and responsibility to vote in elections. This is one way where we can make our voices heard; by electing candidates who represent our values. The primary election this November is very important. It is critical that we elect men and women who will block some of the radical anti-life, anti-family policies of this White House administration and get our country back on the right track. When deciding who to endorse, although I am a registered Republican, I do not look at the political party as a deciding factor. I only endorse those people I believe share my values and are of high moral character. Not all issues are of equal weight. In order to gain an endorsement from me, the candidate must be a strong pro-life and pro-family advocate. These social issues take priority for me when deciding who to vote for, but I also consider other important issues. I believe that the best way to govern is for limited government control where the power rests with the people. The government is there to protect and serve the people. I believe in an economic policy that lowers taxes and reduces spending so that working Americans can keep more of the money they earn and spend their money how they see best. I know how to spend my money better than the government. This is not to say that we should ignore the poor, many of whom want to find work but simply cannot. Not all poor people are lazy just as not all rich people are hard working. I believe that the best way to serve the poor is to give them opportunities to work themselves out of poverty. Also, local charities specialize in meeting the needs of the poor, and do a much better job of it than the government ever would or could. I worry about our national debt which is a national security risk and it is also a growing burden on us and future generations. As for immigration, I believe that it is imperative that we strengthen the security of our boarders and we reform our immigration policies. I am not supportive of an amnesty for illegal aliens, but I believe that we must find a compassionate solution to the problem of illegal immigration. Illegal immigrants may not be privileged to all the rights of an American citizen, but they still deserve to be treated humanely and respectfully. I am a registered Republican, but I don’t necessarily agree with all of the policies on the Republican platform. Many Republicans are strongly in favor of the death penalty, which I don’t believe is necessary in most cases. Many Republicans also believe that the best national defense is an aggressive war agenda. Although I fully support our troops and believe they are doing good work in promoting freedom, I don’t believe that war is always the best answer to solve a problem or the only way toward peace. When I vote, I vote for who I think will best represent the Christian values necessary to be a great leader. I hope to vote for people with character who are not afraid to take a strong moral stand on important issues regardless of the political ramifications. Respect for life, family and freedoms are the most important issues to me, and they are the most important qualities I look for in a politician or any person for that matter. Although no politician is perfect, I feel it is my responsibility to endorse and support those candidates that I feel best represent Christian values. It is necessary to elect good people to further promote a culture of life. After some research and time of reflection, below are a few candidates I endorse in the 2010 Senate primary election in November.

U.S Senate

Marco Rubio - Florida

I have heard Marco talk. I have seen his confidence, composure and clear vision for Florida and America. He has faith in the American people. I have read about his inspiring story. He is a strong and faithful Catholic man. He is strongly pro-life and pro-family and has exposed his opponents’ weaknesses in these most critical issues. For Florida voters, the choice for whom to vote for Senator this November is an easy one. Vote for Marco Rubio!

Joe Miller – Alaska

Joe Miller is the pro-life candidate in the state of Alaska. In August, the underdog Miller defeated pro-choice Republican Lisa Murkowski. Now Murkowski isn’t accepting defeat and is pushing a write-in campaign. Joe Miller is a West Point graduate who has experience serving the country and being a leader. Please join me in supporting the true conservative, pro-family/pro-life candidate in Alaska, Joe Miller.

Sharron Angle – Nevada

“Many people will mistakenly assume that the CatholicVote.org PAC is exclusively for Catholic candidates. Not true! Sharon Angle is a Southern Baptist, but her defense of life, marriage, and her understanding of the proper role of government has convinced us that Catholics have a friend in Sharron Angle,” said Brian Burch, President of CatholicVote.org PAC

Carly Fiorina – California

Carly is not my favorite candidate, but she is far better than the alternative in California, extremely liberal senator Barbara Boxer. How could anyone forget this exchange with former PA Senator and pro-life advocate Rick Santorum? Carly will uphold pro-life values and promote fiscal responsibility in a state that has huge debt and is in severe financial crisis. Carly has received endorsements from the pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List, Sarah Palin, and a number of other respected pro-family/pro-life conservatives.

All of these candidates happen to be Republican, but unfortunately in the current political climate it is rare to find a pro-life democrat. All of the opponents in the races listed above are not pro-life, and have a history of a voting record that is not consistent with the culture of life values we so desperately need. Please consider lending your support to one or all of these candidates, and if you live in their district make sure you go out and vote for the pro-life candidate in November. I will list endorsements for the House of Representatives and Governor of Georgia in my next post. There are several other great candidates that are worthy of endorsements, but I am trying to focus on those races I believe to be a tossup or most important or those candidates that I really believe to be exceptional. Without question, my favorite candidate in this list is Marco Rubio. If you haven’t heard or seen him talk, do yourself a favor and visit his website. I like everything about him, and I believe he will win easily in November. He is an inspiring figure, and his message of American exceptionalism and his positive results oriented ideas are just what this country needs. In this most critical time, keep all our civil, political, and religious leaders in your prayers. God bless America!

No comments: