Friday, July 8, 2011

Book Reflections: Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living With Passion & Purpose





I picked up this book because they were passing out free copies at church.  How could I pass that up?  I had heard Matthew Kelly talk because I got one of his cd's from Lighthouse Catholic Media so I knew he was an inspirational speaker.  I have to say that the book was a little different than I expected.  I thought that the book would be written more for fallen away Catholics because the idea of having a free copy at church during Easter and Christmas was to reach out to those Catholics who only go to mass once or twice a year.  I think this is an excellent idea and I appaud Matthew Kelly's desire to bring back fallen away Catholics and to reinspire practicing Catholics.  As I read the book however, I found that this book was talking to me, a practicing Catholic, directly and maybe even more so than to fallen away Catholics.  I found myself upset a few times while reading this book because I felt that he was challenging me personally.  Maybe this is a sign that I have some work to do in my spiritual life.  Not maybe, certainly.  I can be a much better Catholic.  I can be a much better person.  This book is not just for fallen away Catholics and I would say that it is not just for Catholics, but I think any person of good will can find some valuable lessons from this book.  Basically Matthew Kelly talks about the state of Catholicism through his eyes and based on his experiences.  Some of his analogies may not apply to you personally, but the ideas he presents I believe are universal.  In this book Matthew Kelly tries to convey the great beauty and importance of Catholicism and I believe he does a very good job.  He stresses the need for great saints to rise up in the Church to combat a society that seems to be moving further away from Christian ideals.  This book will challenge you to become a better Catholic and a better person.  We can accept the challenge and work towards becoming what Kelly calls the "best version of ourselves," or we can chose to walk through life just doing enough to ease our conscience.  Take up the challenge.  Be the best version of yourself.  Learn the beauty of living an authentic Christian life.  Rediscover the greatness and wonder of Catholicism.  Read this book.  You will be a better person for it.

God bless!


Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living With Passion & Purpose

No comments: