Thursday, July 15, 2010

GA Senator Saxby Chambliss Will Vote NO on Elena Kegan's Supreme Court Nomination

Good News from GA! Below is an email I received this morning from Senator Saxby Chambliss in response to my letter voicing my concerns about Elena Kagan.
--
Dear Mr. Duquaine:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of Elena Kagan. It is good to hear from you.

On May 10, 2010, President Obama nominated Elena Kagan to be Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. Ms. Hagan currently serves as the Solicitor General of the United States, and was confirmed by the Senate 61-31 on March 19, 2009.

I have consistently stated that Supreme Court nominees must not engage in legislating from the bench, but instead interpret the laws as written. Additionally, any judge who sits on the nation's highest court must understand that the correct venue for making policy is the legislative branch. After reviewing Solicitor General Kagan's record, I remain unconvinced that she will show this requisite judicial restraint

Furthermore, Ms. Kagan once criticized the Supreme Court confirmation process as lacking "seriousness and substance," but when faced with the opportunity to clarify many of her more troubling positions during days of questioning before the Senate Judiciary Committee, she was evasive and unhelpful. Her inadequate answers leave me with significant concerns on several issues, including discriminatory actions against military recruiters, in clear violation of federal law, while she was dean of Harvard Law School in protest of the military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy; her hostility toward the Second Amendment while employed by the judicial and executive branches; and her support for the egregious practice of partial-birth abortion. Therefore, I will vote against her nomination to the Supreme Court.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at:www.chambliss.senate.gov . Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.

No comments: