Friday, January 30, 2009

An Essay Written By My Sister

Life for All Babies
If my mother let me live, i could be valedictorian.
If my mother let me live, I could be president.
If my mother let me live, I could be her pride and joy.
If my mother le me live, I could save another person's life.
If my mother let me live my dreams could become a reality.
If only i could be alive, I could make a difference.
I wrote this poem from the perspective of an unborn child. This child is not given a chance because her mother did not choose life for her. My dream is for women to choose life for their children. Every day in the United States, thousands of babies are aborted. It may take much effort from this society for my dream to become a reality. I am willing to do anything I can to stop abortions. Making dreams real includes the end of abortions.
Knowing the facts about abortion is the first step to understanding my dream. The number of abortions women in this country have is alarmingly high. According to www.abortionno.org, in the United States alone, there are approximately 3,700 abortions that are being preformed daily and 1.37 million yearly. Most of the abortions that are done are for women ages twenty-five or younger. Statistics say that 43% of women will have at least one abortion by the time they are 45 years of age. This is an enormous amount of lost life. Life should not have to be taken.
The views on abortion are very different. Pro-choice followers believe that the mother has a right to abort the child if she so chooses. In these instances, a person who is against abortion might ask these questions: " If the mother has a choice, then why can her offspring not have a choice?" or "How many more babies are going to have to suffer from the deeds of others?" On the opposing side, there are people who are called pro-life. Pro-life followers believe that people should respect all human life. Their idea is that from the moment of conception the fetus is a human, and that its life should be preserved. I support the people who are pro-life.
The controversy over abortion has gone on ever since abortion was legalized in 1973. In Randy Alcorn's book Pro-life Answers to Pro-choice Arguments, he takes all the arguments and breaks them down so that people can understand the seriousness of the issue. One of the arguments that are brought up in his book caught my eye. Some people say that if an unmarried woman is pregnant that she shouldn't have to have the embarrassment of a child. His response to this argument is that society shouldn't pressure the woman into having an abortion; instead, we should love and support her. Some people make it seem like an abortion is the only way out of a sticky situation when there are several other alternatives that can be safe for the baby. Adoption is certainly an option that I support. If a woman is unable to care for her child, then this is a way to help her child. In some instances, the adopted parents allow the birth mother see her child occasionally.
The worst article I read in his book is about how many aborted children there are. The argument is that in the last three decades, abortion has helped society. In his response he said that it has left holes in our society. He told a story of a boy who lived next to a woman who was pregnant. Several years later he was on his deathbed and the child of the woman saved his life. That man would have died if the child's mother had not chosen life for him. He also said that the total casualties of all of the wars in our country's history are less that 1.5 million. This is the most disturbing number I have ever heard. It is different for the men and women who died in those wars because they chose to fight for their country. These children don't have that kind of choice. They should have as much of a choice as any other human.
My dream advances every year when American citizens protest against abortion. The National March of Life is the best example of protest. This year alone, 300,000 people marched in Washington D.C. They march because they share my dream: to end abortion. Three of my own family members marched this year. When the people march, it brings attention to the public about how many people are against abortion. It shows our politicians how passionate people can be about their beliefs. Some people have protested at their community abortion clinics. Although they are ridiculed by others on the street, they never shirk on their beliefs. I admire these people. They help me realize that maybe one day American citizens will open their eyes.
Making my dreams real is limited because of my age. Since I'm in school, I don't have much time to myself. If I had more time, then I would do many actions to help my cause. Although I am young, I have been able to benefit the protests against abortion. I have written to the senators of Indiana. In the letters, it asked the senators to vote against the Freedom of Choice Act. In this bill, it takes away all of the restrictions of abortions in this country. This is just one of the petitions I am able to participate in.
I will make my dreams real by participation in many more protests over the country. As soon as I have the opportunity, I will march for the National March of Life. I will make a journey to Washington D.C like many others before me. I am going to an abortion clinic and I will peacefully protest the against the continuation of abortions. I will continue to write the leaders of this state and of the country to vote against bills, such as the Freedom of Choice Act. The best way I can support my dream is to pray. I pray that all around the world that people will accept that abortion is wrong. That is the first step to achieving my goal.
Abortion is an evil that will stain a mark on our country's history. Someday people may understand that abortion is wrong. My dream is to spread awareness so that it can end. I will work very hard to decrease the numbers of aborted children. These children could be the future Benjamin Franklins and Thomas Edisons of our world if they have a chance. There will always be controversy over whether abortion is right or wrong, but my beliefs still stand.

Elizabeth

No comments: