Monday, December 12, 2011

Political Endorsement: The Case for Rick Santorum


I have been paying very close attention to the Republican Presidential Primary nomination process over the past year.  I have watched virtually all of the presidential debates.  I have researched the history and positions of most of the candidates.  I take my civic duty of voting very seriously.  If you have read any of my previous political themed blog posts, you certainly know that I do NOT support the current President of the United States.  President Obama has led the country in a very bad and wrong direction.  I disagree most passionately and strongly on President Obama’s social agenda, but I also believe that his economic and foreign policies have been detrimental and even dangerous for our country.  That being said, I am hoping the American people elect one of the Republican candidates to become the next President of the United States in 2012.  So who do I endorse and support, and how did I come to that conclusion?

I am endorsing Rick Santorum for President of the United States!

Rick Santorum presidential announcement

Four years ago I supported Mike Huckabee, and I was hopeful that he would run again.  However, when he decided to stay at Fox News and continue his awesome show, Huckabee, I knew that I needed to take a serious look at the other candidates.  Fairly early in the process, I had a strong feeling that Rick Santorum would be my choice.  Why have I chosen to support Rick Santorum, and why do I encourage you to support Rick Santorum?  Let me list my top 10 reasons.

1) Rick Santorum is a man of character.
2) Rick Santorum is trustworthy.
3) Rick Santorum is a champion of pro-life and pro-family issues
      Outside of the candidate’s character and trustworthiness, the most important issues to me when deciding on which candidate to support are his positions on social issues; most notably on issues of life and family.  I believe that these are the most important issues, and I want a candidate that not only votes pro-life and pro-family, but someone who is a champion of these causes.  Rick Santorum does not only say that he is pro-life and pro-family, he actively and passionately works to uphold these most basic Christian values.  He lives these values.  He is constantly talking about these issues when many other candidates would rather talk about the economy.  For social conservatives such as me, no other candidate matches the passion and resolve of Rick Santorum.  He will fight for the rights of the unborn, children with special needs, the elderly, and everyone in between.  Below are a couple of powerful videos.  You will see that these issues are more than just issues that Rick Santorum checks off to get some votes.


Rick Santorum debates partial birth abortion bill in Senate in 1998

Rick Santorum talking about his special needs daughter, Bella

4) Rick Santorum is a proven leader
5) Rick Santorum is authentic. 
       Rick Santorum speaks the truth, whether it is politically correct or not; popular or not.  A rare trait these days, especially in politics!
6) Rick Santorum is concerned about the poor and less fortunate
      Conservatives are often accused of caring only about the rich and ignoring the needs of the poor.  In some cases and with some conservatives, this criticism is a valid.  However, Rick Santorum is concerned about the poor and his policies reflect that.  He is the only republican candidate talking about how to help people who do not have a college education and stressing the breakdown of the family as a significant cause of poverty.  His economic policy to zero out corporate tax on manufactures and his desire to bring good paying manufacturing jobs back home for unskilled workers is unique in this republican primary field.  He will also push for policies that promote the family, and encourage stability of families by promoting traditional marriage.
7)Rick Santorum is knowledgeable about the issues and has realistic solutions to the problems we face.
      Rick Santorum is well known for his depth of knowledge and passion on social issues.  However, he is also a very strong fiscal conservative who also has a great deal of knowledge about national security and the dangers we face from within and outside of our country. 
8) Rick Santorum is a consistent conservative
        Rick Santorum has been and continues to be consistent in his policy positions.  While I believe that a person will make mistakes, can learn from them, and can change their opinion on certain issues, a lack of consistency does bring into question the trustworthiness of the candidate and the motives for their stated positions.  Rick Santorum has not wavered in his conservative beliefs, and that consistency brings forth a sense of assurance and trustworthiness that not all of the other candidates possess.
9) Rick Santorum is a faithful Catholic 
       A politician’s faith may not be the most important deciding factor, but a candidate’s faithfulness to their religion and the way they live their lives says a lot about their character.  Rick Santorum is a faithful Catholic, who not only goes to church on Sundays but it is said he tries to make it to daily mass, who lives out his life as best he can according to the beliefs of the Catholic faith he professes and believes.  It is actually very rare these days to find Catholic politicians who actually believe and promote the teachings of the Catholic Church.  Have you seen some of the things that “catholic” Nancy Pelosi has said and the things she has tried to push?  Rick Santorum will fight for the values of faithful Christians, and that is important.    
10) Rick Santorum can beat Barak Obama
      Rick Santorum is a polar opposite of Barak Obama.  Rick Santorum offers ideas of real, positive change.  He can and will win if the people who share his values unite in support of Rick Santorum.  



The Iowa Caucuses are just a few short weeks away.  Rick Santorum is still fairly low in the polls.  If you base your vote on public opinion polls, you will likely not embrace Rick Santorum.  If however, you are like me and vote for the man or woman that best reflects your values and whom you believe the best qualified to be Commander in Chief, I believe that you will likely come to the same conclusion as I have that Rick Santorum is your candidate.  I am not sure that I believe in these polls anyway.  Who are they asking?  I know I’ve never been asked who I support in one of these polls.  These next few weeks are critical for Rick Santorum.  He has spent far more time and worked far harder than any other candidate in Iowa, and for him to have a realistic chance of winning the nomination he must do well in Iowa.  That is why I am asking you to go to www.RickSantorum.com to learn more about Rick Santorum and his policy positions.  It is common knowledge that he has not raised much money.  Unfortunately, to be successful in politics it requires money to get the message out to as many people as possible.  He is making a big push this week to raise $250,000, and if you can provide financial support that would be a huge boost to his campaign.  However, even if you are not able to support Rick Santorum financially there are several other ways to support him.  For volunteer opportunities, please visit RickVolunteer.com.  I like several candidates in the Republican Presidential Primary field, but I believe in Rick Santorum and trust that he is the best man for the highest office.  I hope you will join me in supporting Rick Santorum.  He is an underdog, but he is also a fighter.  Please don’t give up on Rick Santorum.  He will not give up on you and your values.  Let’s nominate the best candidate this election.  Let’s join together to help Rick Santorum become the next President of the United States!

God bless,

Mike







No comments: