Sunday, December 9, 2007

Immaculate Conception of Mary

We celebrated the Immaculate Conception of Mary on December 8th. The catholic belief is that Mary was born without original sin. She is the only woman to be born without the stain of original sin, and in 1854 Pope Pius IX instituted a day where we celebrate Mary's Immaculate Conception. I was recently asked for an explanation and reason for this celebration, and I don't think I gave a clear and concise answer to that question, so I went to some sources to better understand myself what the day is all about. Christian faiths are often split on the issue of Mary, Jesus' mother. There are so many things that are unknown to us and hard for us to understand, but that is why we are human. I trust in God's Church and it's teachings. The Holy Spirit guides His church. How could the mother of God be stained with original sin? God chose her when she was still in her mothers womb to be the Mother of God. Only she has that title, and only she was born without original sin. If you would like to read up on the Immaculate Conception click here.

No comments: